The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs Award: The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award in 2019 is currently open for applications and will focus on innovative solutions that offer more and better access to healthcare for households in low-income communities. They are looking for business-minded organizations that leverage technology to successfully tackle the behavioural, knowledge, infrastructure, financial and/or other barriers to such households’ access to healthcare solutions – from prevention to treatment.
Ventures that address one or more of the following areas are welcome to apply: access to information for patients and healthcare professionals, capacity-building of healthcare professionals, distribution and supply chain integrity, upgrading healthcare facilities and access to appropriate medical equipment and access to financing for patients.
Worth of Award (The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs Award)
- The award comprises a financial grant from the Swiss Re Foundation and, depending on the nature, scope, and needs of the enterprise, non-financial contributions such as coaching and technical advice from Swiss Re employees and experts.
- Three finalists pitch their ventures face-to-face to an independent award jury of senior Swiss Re experts, academic representatives and selected Swiss Re clients. The total prize money of USD 700 000 is divided among the winner (which receives up to USD 350 000) and the two runners-up.
- In addition, Swiss Re employees around the world are invited to vote for their favourite of the three finalists. The finalist that garners the most votes receives the “Employee Award” and a special prize. The same enterprise may win both the Employee Award and the Resilience Award in a given year.
FOR MORE INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS CLICK HERE
The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs Award Eligibility
Enterprises that fit the above-described scope and meet the following criteria are encouraged to apply:
- Level of maturity: Are established as formal start-ups, growing and on a clear path to full or partial financial sustainability (eg if only some operations are commercially based) but still dependent on grants (or other support) to improve their business model and/or reach full financial sustainability
- Innovation and technology focus: Leverage technology or an innovation in product or service delivery to deliver value to underserved populations at scale.
- Mission and purpose: Have a strong social purpose while using commercial mechanisms to achieve sustainability and scale.
- Target group: Serve moderately to very poor communities in rural and/or urban areas. Poor and vulnerable populations should be a clear focus and priority and/or represent more than 30% of people served. Candidates should have a deep understanding of their end users’ specific circumstances and address barriers to health care that they face.
- Geography: Ideally, operate in low-income communities with limited/no access to quality healthcare.
How to Apply for the The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs Award
- To apply for the 2019 Entrepreneurs for Resilience Award, complete the online questionnaire about your enterprise by 9 November 2018, 24.00 CET.
- Only applications completed in English and submitted by this deadline will be considered.
The Swiss Re Foundation Entrepreneurs Award Deadline: 9 November 2018, 24.00 CET.