Commonwealth Youth Awards – 2018 Nominations are now open for Excellence in Development Work.
Application Timeline: The 4 Regional Winners will be invited to receive their awards at an official ceremony in London, United Kingdom during Commonwealth Week, March 2018.
Eligible Countries: Commonwealth countries
To be taken at (country): UK
About the Award: Commonwealth Youth Awards is presented to young people who are taking action to address development challenges in the world today from poverty, unemployment, climate change, violent extremism, lack of access to education etc. and are making a remarkable difference in the lives of the people in their local community, village, province, country, region and world at large.
Young people constitute more than 60% of the population of the Commonwealth; their empowerment is essential to the success of the Commonwealth and its member states. The Commonwealth works with youth leaders, member governments and other stakeholders to engage and empower young people and enhance their contribution to development. The work of the Commonwealth is anchored in the belief that empowered young people are assets to their societies. It is vital to ensure young people realise their individual potential, and to recognise and nurture their ability to contribute to their countries’ development, and the success of the Commonwealth.
The Commonwealth Youth Awards for Excellence in Development Work aims to raise the profile and highlight the contribution young people make to achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDG’s).
Eligibility: The young people who will receive the Commonwealth Youth Awards should demonstrate measurable/tangible impact through their development work.
- The nominee must have been engaged in development work for more than 12 months, either in a professional or voluntary capacity;
- The nominee must be a Commonwealth citizen and the development work must be taking place in a Commonwealth member country;
- The nominee should not be older than 29 on 31 December 2017;
- Individuals can nominate themselves or be nominated by someone who can accurately describe their development work ++
- The winners must agree to take part in publicity generated by the Commonwealth.
Selection Criteria: Awards will be decided on the basis of:
- Level of Impact;
- Level of innovation/fresh approaches to problem solving;
- Quality of achievement;
- Quality of the evidence provided.
Selection Process: There will be four finalists per Commonwealth region with the top entry receiving the Regional Winner Award and the top regional winner receiving the Pan Commonwealth Youth Award and to be named the Commonwealth Young Person of the Year 2018.
Value of Award:
- The 16 Regional finalists will each receive a £1,000 grant, a trophy and a certificate.
- The 4 Regional Winners will receive an additional £2,000 (a total of £3,000) a trophy and a certificate
- The Pan Commonwealth Winner will receive an additional £2000 (a total of £5,000) a trophy and a certificate.
How to Apply:
- Register an account (Link below).
- Start your entry (save it in-progress).
- Submit your entry to be in the running. Best of luck!
FOR MORE INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS CLICK HERE