Yale Young Global Scholars – Eligibility and Requirements
Yale Young Global Scholars (YYGS) is a program that provides academic enrichment to excellent high school students from throughout the world. Students from nearly 150 nations are given the opportunity to attend a two-week multidisciplinary session online or on Yale’s historic campus each summer.
YYGS is one of the world’s most globally varied and accessible pre-college programs. The program serves over 2,000 students from more than 150 countries and provides over $3 million in need-based financial aid to both domestic and foreign students.
Yale Young Global Scholars Programme
Yale University is America’s third-oldest higher education institution. The Yale Young Global Scholars Program offers a wide range of courses for students to pursue. The major goal of this Summer Program in the United States is to inspire minds to build global connections.
The program is only available in English. The YYGS program does not need any proof of English proficiency. You may apply if you are fluent in English. Participants will get the opportunity to meet like-minded peers from all around the world while living the life of a university student.
Should You Attend The Yale Young Global Scholars Programme?
You now have a better understanding of Yale Global Scholars, but is it the right option for you? Before making a decision, consider the following three questions.
1. What is your motivation for attending?
This is the most critical question to ask, and you must ensure that your expectations are reasonable. Here are some compelling reasons to participate in the program
- You want to experience college life.
- You wish to learn more about a specific topic or career route.
- You would want to meet new individuals.
Any of the aforementioned are solid, attainable goals for YYGS. Because the program takes place on Yale’s campus, it will provide you with an excellent opportunity to learn about college life, particularly American college life. The programs are of excellent quality and will teach you a lot, and because you can tailor the experience to learn more about your desired career path and subjects of deep interest to you, you can adjust the experience to learn more about your intended career path and subjects of deep interest to you.
2. Are You Able to Afford It?
Although the yale young global scholars program provides a considerable number of scholarships, competition for them is fierce, and you should not expect to win one. As a result, the program’s cost must be considered.
Yale’s young global scholars’ program is not cheap; tuition, lodging, and board for the residential program is $6,500, while the online program is $3,500. That’s a lot of money for most families for a brief summer program, and you shouldn’t feel like you have to hustle to come up with it.
3. What Are Your Other Summer Options?
Make certain that attending a YYGS program is the best way for you to spend your summer before agreeing to participate. The sessions are brief, but because they take place in the midst of summer, they may preclude you from participating in other summer activities such as employment, school, or other extracurricular activities.
Eligibility Criteria For The Yale Young Global Scholars Programme
What are the Eligibility Criteria For the yale young global scholars program? Below are some of them
- You must be at least 16 years old by July 19, 2021.
- You must be fluent in the English Language since the programs are taught in English.
- You must be a current high school student.
- This must be your first time taking part in the program
- If you previously applied to YYGS but were not admitted or were unable to attend AND match the qualifying conditions outlined above, you are invited to reapply for YYGS 2021.
Is Yale Young Global Scholars Prestigious
Will participating in a Yale Young Global Scholars program impress college admissions officers? It won’t help you much if you just put it on your college application. Despite a fairly low acceptance rate, the program isn’t competitive or well-known enough to make a significant impact on college admissions. It will resemble any other extracurricular activity, such as a local summer camp, club membership, and so on. Because the program is linked with Yale, applying there may offer your application a little advantage because it shows interest in the institution, but in most, if not all, circumstances, this will not be enough to determine whether you’ll get admitted or not.
As a result, we propose that you consider Yale Young Global Scholars as a means to give your college application a tiny boost. It probably won’t make a difference whether a school admits you or not, especially for top-tier colleges.
Yale Young Global Scholars Application
The YYGS application portal is available on their website. The YYGS application will be available in September. Early action is due in early November, and the normal decision is due in mid-January. Early action applicants will get their admission decision by mid-December and must decide whether or not to attend by early January. Regular decision applicants will get their admission decision by mid-March and must make a choice to attend by the same date.
If you decide to apply, make sure you match their eligibility requirements, which include being at least 16 years old, a current high school sophomore or junior (or the foreign equivalent), having fluent or nearly-fluent English abilities, and not having participated in past YYGS sessions.
After that, you’ll fill out the YYGS application, which is pretty similar to a college application. You must supply the following documents:
- Transcript from high school
- List of extracurricular activities
- Four written replies to Yale Young Global Scholars essay questions (one of 400 words, one of 200 words, and two “quick take” responses of 280 characters).
- Two recommendation letters
- An application cost of $60 for Early Action and $75 for Regular Decision.
Yale Young Global Scholars Acceptance Rate
There is no fixed acceptance rate of the yale young global scholars program. However, going with statistics, as of 2020, out of 7,000 students that applied for the program, only 2,000 students were selected, thus making the acceptance rate 8 percent. The number of applications has undoubtedly been increasing faster than the number of acceptances over the years, as they took 1,768 out of 5,500 in 2018, representing a 32% rate.
So, while YYGS is a demanding program, it is nothing like as difficult as getting accepted into Yale University itself, which has an admission rate of roughly 6%, which is much lower than the Yale Young Global Scholars acceptance rate.
Yale Tuition 2020
The expense of attending college has steadily risen over the last several decades, and few institutions have been spared.
Yale states that tuition is $55,500, rooming is $9,400, and boarding is $7,200 for the 2019-2020 academic year, for a total of $72,100. Furthermore, the school estimates that books and personal expenditures cost students around $3,700 per year, and the student activities fee is $125 per year, bringing the total cost of attendance to approximately $75,925 per year.
Other potential fees listed by Yale include school health insurance ($2,404) and senior class dues ($119). These prices, however, might vary greatly depending on how much a student’s family earns.
Yale University Graduate Programs
Yale offers advanced degrees through its Graduate School of Arts & Sciences and 12 professional schools. In 73 departments and programs, Yale’s Graduate School of Arts and Sciences provides programs leading to M.A., M.S., M.Phil., and Ph.D. degrees. Below are the graduate program available at the University:
- School of Architecture – The mandate of the Yale School of Architecture is for each student to understand architecture as a creative, productive, inventive, and responsible activity.
- School of Art – The Yale School of Art has a long and renowned tradition of producing world-class painters.
- Divinity School – Yale Divinity School trains the next generation of researchers, clergy, and spiritual leaders.
- David Geffen School of Drama – The David Geffen School of Drama is located in Los Angeles, California. Graduates of the David Geffen School of Drama have increased professional practice standards in every theatrical discipline across the world, creating daring art that stimulates the intellect and thrills the senses.
- School of Engineering & Applied Science – The Yale School of Engineering & Applied Science is at the forefront of technology development to address worldwide social issues.
- School of the Environment – The School of the Environment is committed to preserving and repairing the biosphere’s long-term health and the well-being of its inhabitants.
- Law School – Yale Law School, cultivates the world’s best legal minds in an environment that includes world-class faculty, small classes, and numerous opportunities for clinical training and public service.
- School of Management – Students, faculty, and alumni at the School of Management are dedicated to understanding the complex forces transforming global markets and creating organizations that add long-term value to society.
- School of Medicine – Graduates of Yale School of Medicine go on to become academic medicine and health care leaders, as well as clinical practice, biotechnology, and public policy innovators.
- School of Music – The Yale School of Music is a global leader in teaching tomorrow’s innovative artists and cultural leaders.
- School of Nursing – The Yale School of Nursing community strongly believes that access to high-quality patient-centered health care is a social right, not a privilege.
- School of Public Health – The School of Public Health funds research and creative activities that safeguard and enhance people’s health across the world.
- Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS) – The Faculty of Arts and Sciences is made up of the departments and academic programs that teach at Yale College and the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences.
Yale Summer Programs High School
Yale Summer Session is looking for enthusiastic high school students who want to take Yale College courses for credit. Qualified high school students will share the classroom with college students and do college-level work while enrolled in Yale courses. Everyone who takes part will be held to the same set of standards.
Applicants must be entering their senior year of high school (the summer after their junior year) or their freshman year of college (summer after senior year). By the commencement date of their program, they must be 16 years old or older.
Pre-college student applications must include the following materials:
- Online Application Form
- Transcript from a high school with at least 2.5 years of grades. If your transcript does not have at least 2.5 years of grades, please contact us.
- Two letters of recommendation, one from a current instructor and the other from a guidance counselor
SAT/PSAT/ACT test scores are not required for the 2022 Yale Summer Session. Applicants who are unable to complete a test or prefer not to declare their exam results will not be penalized.
Pre-college students, including those who have recently graduated from high school, are obliged to reside on campus unless they live within commuting distance of New Haven with their families. They are required to stay on campus overnight unless they are engaging in Yale Summer Session events or receive written permission from a parent or guardian to leave school for a predetermined, stated length of time.
Yale University Online Course
Yale University is dedicated to bettering the world today and for future generations by providing excellent education.
Yale Online Course gives individuals all around the globe access to yale professors, programs, and courses, including career changers, life-long learners, educators, and high school and college students. Both free and for-credit Undergraduates, graduate students, and the general public can enroll in Yale courses ranging from game theory to modern poetry.
Yale offers online learning through a number of platforms, including YouTube, iTunes, Coursera, and Open Yale Courses. While students can finish certain courses online, Yale degree programs need an on-campus presence and cannot be completed fully online.
In this post, we looked at some of the Yale Young Global Scholars requirements and how to meet them. Is it worthwhile to participate in this program? It is, indeed. It will provide you with an excellent opportunity to learn about college life, particularly American college life.
We hope this post answers all questions you might have about the yale young global scholars program.