The Top 5 International Scholarships In New Zealand
Looking to study in New Zealand through scholarships? Allow me to tell you that New Zealand would be the ideal spot to give you top notch schooling as well as a remarkable living encounter. The colleges of New Zealand fall among the top 3% of the world’s best colleges (as indicated by the QS University World Rankings). You can even bear the cost of an extraordinary way of life assuming you choose to apply for grants for concentrate on abroad in New Zealand. In this article, we have the rundown of the top scholarships to study in New Zealand.
These scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand give opportunities to students to pursue PhD in New Zealand, making it an easygoing smooth journey for students. There are many universities in New Zealand that accept students holding this scholarship award. These scholarships are awarded on the basis of academic merits. The award is tenable for three years and covers full tuition fees, a monthly living allowance, an establishment allowance, a travel allowance, a health insurance allowance, and a book and thesis allowance.
To be eligible for this scholarship, students must:
- Be international students
- Hold an ‘A’ average or equivalent in their studies to date
- Meet the requirements for entry into a research based doctoral degree programme at a New Zealand university
- Provide An Educational Credential Evaluation (ECE) Certificate
- Provide evidence that they have been in contact with the relevant department of their chosen institution and discussed their proposed research, research interests and the availability of appropriate supervision
- Prove English language proficiency
The Victoria University of Wellington offers Tongarewa scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand. They help students to become all rounders’ in their fields of study . This is because, University of Wellington offers this scholarship to excellent students who also have a good extra curricular background. Victoria University of Wellington expects Tongarewa scholars to take part in extracurricular events and be ambassadors of the same.
- If you are applying for your first year for an undergraduate course or are seeking admissions into a postgraduate course.
- You should have already received a letter of acceptance from the university before applying for this scholarship.
- This should be your first time applying and studying at a New Zealand university.
- You must demonstrate academic excellence in your previous studies.
- This scholarship may range from NZD 5,000 to NZD 10,000
- The amount covers a partial tuition fee and is applicable only for 1 year of study.
- Tongarewa Scholars are guaranteed student accommodation at the Halls of Residence. However, you must submit an application for accommodation for the same.
University Of Auckland Doctoral Scholarships
If you’re a student looking forward to doing your research and doctoral studies in New Zealand, the University of Auckland is the perfect place. University of Auckland Doctoral Scholarships are awarded to high-achieving students applying for admission at this university. These scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand are valued at $28,500 per annum plus compulsory fees and international health insurance. It is provided to domestic students as well as international students paying the same fees as domestic students. The scholarship tenure is for a period of 36 months. If you demonstrate excellent academic records, you can automatically apply for this scholarship while applying for the PhD programme.
The New Zealand Government Scholarships
The Government of New Zealand aims to produce talented professionals who will eventually become contributing members of the society. With that, when you’re applying for the New Zealand Government scholarships, make sure your field of study aligns with the needs of your home country. These scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand are provided to students who want to study in their undergraduate or postgraduate studies. The subjects may include agriculture, disaster risk management, private sector development, public sector development and more. The scholarship is open to students from Asia, Africa, Pacific, Latin America, Caribbean as well as the commonwealth countries.
- The candidate must be 18 years or older while applying for these New Zealand scholarships
- There is no upper age limit to apply for this scholarship, however, candidates who are within 40 years of age are preferred.
- You must comply with the terms and conditions of the New Zealand student visa requirements.
- Before applying for this scholarship, you must already choose your field of study and the course. There is no need for you to be enrolled into your course, however, you must meet the basic requirements of the university you are applying to.
- You must also prove your English proficiency by cracking the standardised English proficiency tests
- You must agree to return to your home country for a minimum period of 2 years. Here, you must agree to contribute to your country’s socio-economic development. This is required to meet the requirements of the scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand.
New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships
Students from the Southeast Asian countries who wish to pursue their higher education in New Zealand are offered the New Zealand ASEAN Scholarships. The country offers students who belong to the Association of SouthEast Asian Nations (ASEAN) with an intention to help them make sustainable developments in their home countries.
Who is eligible?
You are eligible to apply for these scholarships for study abroad in New Zealand only if you meet the criteria below.
- You must be 18 years of age when the scholarship commences.
- You should be a citizen of the SouthEast Nations or a permanent resident.
- You must agree to return to your home country for a period of 2 years after the scholarship is completed.
- You must meet the academic and educational requirements of the university or college you are applying to. Only the students who have been granted the scholarship must take English Proficiency Tests (EPTs) if required.
- If you’re applying for a PhD course, you must also look for a supervisor prior to applying for the scholarship.
- If you’re applying for postgraduate courses, you must have relevant work experience. You must be able to explain how your work experience relates to the course you have applied for. You must either have 1 year full-time work experience in a related field or 2 years of part time work experience in a related field.
What does the scholarship include?
- Full tuition fees
- Living allowance that is paid fortnightly
- Medical and travel insurance
- Initial expense allowances (deposits, application fees, etc.)
- Assistance with thesis and research work costs for research students
Why Apply For Scholarships In New Zealand?
In order to understand the importance of scholarships during your studies, take a look at the chart below that depicts the international students’ spendings in New Zealand.
Source: ICEF Monitor
According to the survey conducted by ICEF Monitor, spendings in New Zealand had increased by over 50% by international students. 27.9% of the expenses rest within the University sector with Private Training Establishments (PTE) after. English language providers (ELS), secondary schools, and institutes of technology, polytechnics, and wananga (ITP) account for roughly equivalent shares of the balance of spending. There are so many expenses directed towards your education that maintaining living expenses may be a hassle. That is why we recommend you to check your eligibility, and apply for scholarships to study abroad in New Zealand.