The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships
The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships: The University of Oxford in the UK invites applications from Zambians for the 2019/2020 Rhodes Scholarship.
Established through the Will of Cecil John Rhodes in 1902, the Rhodes Scholarship was a truly visionary project for its time. Over a hundred years later, the Rhodes Scholarships are the oldest and perhaps most prestigious international scholarship programme in the world, enabling outstanding young people from around the world to undertake full-time postgraduate study at the University of Oxford, (ranked first internationally in the Times Higher Education rankings for 2017 and 2018).
Worth of The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships
- The Rhodes Scholarship is for two years in the first instance.
- The Rhodes Scholarship covers Oxford University (and College) fees as well as providing an annual stipend.
- For the 2018/19 academic year, the stipend will be £15,141 per annum (c. £1,260 per month).
FOR MORE INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS CLICK HERE
The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships Eligibility
Rhodes Selection Committees are looking for young people of outstanding intellect, character, leadership, and commitment to service.
The four criteria which governed the selection of Rhodes Scholars in 1902 are still the guiding criteria for the selection of Rhodes Scholars:
- literary and scholastic attainments (academic excellence, e.g. First Class Honours or GPA of minimum 3.7 out of 4.0, or equivalent)
- energy to use one’s talents to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sports, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved)
- truth, courage, devotion to duty, sympathy for and protection of the weak, kindliness, unselfishness and fellowship
- moral force of character and instincts to lead, and to take an interest in one’s fellow beings.
- Nationality/citizenship: You must be a citizen of Zambia.
- Education/residency: You must have been resident in Zambia for at least five of the last ten years.
- Age: You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 27th birthday on 1 October 2019, which means you must have been born after 30 September 1992 and on or before 1 October 2000.
- Academic achievement: You must have completed (or will have completed by June / July 2019) an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with Merit or Distinction or equivalent elsewhere (GPA minimum 3.7 out of 4.0) . In this respect, please note carefully the requirements for your chosen course at Oxford, where entry requirements may exceed those of the Scholarship.
- Given the very intense international competition for places at the University of Oxford, candidates (with the exception of those studying medicine) will have a greater chance of successful admission to Oxford if they have an Honours degree (or have taken an Honours year) from a University outside Zambia or if they have studied to Masters level within Zambia. Please contact your National Secretary if you require further advice.
How to Apply for the The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships
- In preparation for making your application, you should read carefully the general information for candidates on the Rhodes website, the Conditions of Tenure for the Rhodes Scholarship, and the graduate admissions pages of the University of Oxford.
- Shortlisted candidates will be invited to a social reception (e.g. a lunch or dinner reception) and an interview.
- No candidate will be selected without interview. You must be available to attend the interview
- and social reception, in person, as no accommodations can be made on date and time of these events. Interviews will be held in Lusaka, in November.
- All applicants will be emailed with the outcome of their application.
The Rhodes Zambians Scholarships Deadline: You must submit your application online, with all supporting documents, by 23:59 Central Africa Time, Thursday, 15 November 2018.