ORID Rhodes Scholarship Application, Requirements and Acceptance Rate
What is the Rhodes Scholarship:
The ORID Rhodes scholarship at the university of Oxford is one such example of how Rhodes foundation providing access to education for those how do not have access . The special partnership between ORID and Rhodes foundation organise this scholarship for West African students.
The office of research, innovation and development at the university of Oxford announces the scholarship organised in partnership with the Rhodes foundation. The Rhodes foundation is the most established name in scholarship funding in the world having the oldest scholarship still going on. The Rhodes scholarship program is fully global accepting applications and welcoming participants all across the continents .
The award is for postgraduate studies at the university of Oxford and it is aimed at giving support to exceptional students from across the West African sub region pursue any postgraduate degree offered at Oxford university for two years.
Orid Rhodes Scholarship Acceptance Rate
This is one of the main scholarship sponsored by the Rhodes foundation which gives scholarship to students from across the world. Each year hundred positions are given out, inviting scholars from all over the world to Oxford university for their program.
The Rhodes scholarship is highly selective and highly sought after. It marks a successful candidate as a special breed and makes career advancement easy as Rhodes scholars bare considered exceptional. Read more about it here
Orid Rhodes Scholarship Requirements
Course Level: Scholars may pursue any full-time postgraduate degree offered by the University of Oxford for the duration of two years with an option for a third year.
Study Subject: Scholarship is awarded in any of courses offered by the university.
Value of ORID Rhodes scholarship
The ORID Rhodes postgraduate scholarship at Oxford provides the following of the recipients .
- A full tuition is paid for the student.
- Payment of a maintenance stipend which covers feeding, accommodation, and incidentals.
- One economy class airfare to and from Oxford at the beginning and end of the tenure.
- Access to a comprehensive Rhodes character, Service and leadership program which involves a retreat, workshop and conferences which is specifically designed to equip the scholars with problem solving skills. They will also have access to the discussions and social events at the Rhodes house.
Number of Scholarships: Not Known
Scholarship can be taken at University of Oxford, UK
Nationality: Citizens of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo are eligible to apply for this scholarship programme.
Eligibility: To be eligible for this scholarship, applicants must:
- Be between the ages of 19-25 (You must have reached your 19th and not have passed your 26th birthday on 1 October 2018. This means candidates must have been born on 30 September 1992 and on or before 1 October 1999)
- Be a citizen of one of the following countries: Benin, Burkina Faso, Cape Verde, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Liberia, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, the island of Saint Helena, Senegal, Sierra Leone, São Tomé and Principe and Togo.
- Have been resident in one or more of the countries listed above for at least five of the last ten years.
- Have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with the highest classification your University awards, e.g. First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
- Have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
- Energy to use one’s talent to the full (as demonstrated by mastery in areas such as sport, music, debate, dance, theatre, and artistic pursuits, particularly where teamwork is involved).
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirements: Students must have completed an undergraduate degree from a college or university (normally a Bachelor’s degree) with the highest classification your University awards, e.g. First Class or Upper Second Class Honours.
English Language Requirements: Students must have a sufficiently high standard of English to meet the English language proficiency requirements (at the Higher Level listed) of the University of Oxford.
Orid Rhodes Scholarship Application
- Applications may be submitted online at the following link via the scholarships tab.
- All applicants are entreated to read carefully the general information for candidates on Rhodes website, the Condition of Tenure for Rhodes scholarship. Detailed information is available at this link.
- Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed in person. No candidate will be selected without an interview.
- Candidates who do not receive further communication by the end of November should assume the application has been unsuccessful.
- A completed application form online
- Citizenship criterion:
- A certified copy of your birth certificate (or an affidavit of birth)
- A national identity card
iii. A valid passport (with translation, if necessary)
- Evidence of residency within the region
- An official transcript from the University attended
- Ahead and shoulders photograph in jpeg format
- Curriculum vitae, showing details of what you have achieved.
- An IELTS or TOEFL certificate as evidence of English Proficiency (If English is not your first language).
- A signed personal statement.
- A list of referees (minimum of 4 and maximum of 6) who are willing to submit references on your behalf
Applications are to be submitted online using the link
Shortlisted candidates will be invited to an interview in person. Candidates who are not interviewed are not successful. To find out about the scholarship, visit the official site of the organizers here
The ORID Rhodes scholarship at Oxford University grants access to a high quality education to citizens of west Africa region. The program is highly valued and sought after for students in the West African region who desire a degree from Oxford.