National Weather Service NCEP Summer Student Intern Program
The National Centers for Environmental Prediction (NCEP) is pleased to announce the National Weather Service NCEP Summer Student Intern Program.
The program is open to current 2nd and 3rd year undergraduate and enrolled graduate students to work in areas that will meet the future needs of the ever-broadening user community and address the strategic climate-water-weather issues.
To participate, student must be U.S. Citizen and majors form math, physics, meteorology, atmospheric and climate science, computer science, engineering, and social science.
Field of Internship: Internship is available for undergraduate and graduate students.
Course Level: Internship
Internship can be taken in the U.S.
To be eligible, applicants must:
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate (sophomore and junior status only) or graduate degree program, and be a U.S. Citizen willing to undergo a security background check.
- Students from the following majors are welcome to apply: math, physics, meteorology, atmospheric and climate science, computer science, engineering, and social science.
- The internship is only for enrolled sophomores, juniors and graduates students.
- Your major is not included on the list of eligible majors: If your career interests, educational background, and experience are in line with NCEP’s mission and activities, then you may be eligible.
Internship Open for International Students: No
Is this paid internship? This is a paid internship programme.
Program benefits include:
- Internship stipend ($5000)
- Furnished housing
- Travel allowance to get to and from College Park, MD
NCEP is offering up to 10 paid summer internships targeted towards current 2nd and 3rd year undergraduate and enrolled graduate students to work in areas that will meet the future needs of the ever-broadening user community and address the strategic climate-water-weather issues.
Each student will collaborate with one or more scientists at their five centers located in College Park, MD: Climate Prediction Center, Environmental Modeling Center, NCEP Central Operations, Ocean Prediction Center, and Weather Prediction Center.
- Depending on your project, you may be expected to know how to do some coding. Computer languages typically used for student projects include Python, Fortran, C++.
Number of awards offered: 10 paid summer internships
Internships are full time for 10 weeks between June and August, with a preferred starting date in early June.
Participants may be involved in projects such as:
- Activities that improve understanding of forecasting problems
- Activities that address some critical aspect of operational model development
- Incorporation of social science knowledge and practices to communicate forecast uncertainty
- Activities that will create new data analysis techniques with wide application and usefulness in operational forecasting
In addition to their project, participants attend lectures, participate in workshops to build skills and knowledge relevant to the job, and present their projects in both written and oral formats. The internship is approximately 40 hours per week.
Notification: All students will be notified in mid-March.
How to Apply:
To apply, you will need to register for an account at https://ncepinternship.smapply.io/res/p/how-to-apply-home/
Prepare the following to be uploaded to this site:
- A personal statement (2-3 pages) describing your relevant career interests and past experiences in your area of interest and why you are applying for this NCEP internship. Please include mention of which NCEP Center you are most interested in and why.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- A transcript (unofficial is sufficient) from your institution
- 2 letters of recommendation are required to be submitted on your behalf.
Internship Application Deadline: Applications are due Feb 1 2019, 11:59 PM (EST).