History Access South African Scholarships
History Access South African Scholarships: The Department of Historical Studies at the University of Cape Town in South Africa invites applications for an innovative five-year programme in History Access, funded by the Andrew W. Mellon Foundation which commences January 1st, 2019.
The Department of Historical Studies at the University of Cape Town has a long and proud tradition of academic excellence, professional leadership, and social sensitivity. It is the oldest university history department in sub-Saharan Africa. Over more than a century, it has hosted and trained many of South Africa’s most creative, authoritative and impactful historians. Our students have been successful in a wide range of careers both within the academic and beyond.
Scholarships are available towards the study of Honours, Masters and PhD programme within the department of Department of Historical Studies at the University of Cape Town.
Worth of Award (History Access South African Scholarships)
- 2 three-year PhD scholarships, each to the value of the annual amount of ZAR 130,000, the second and third year of funding being subject to satisfactory academic progress;
- 3 two-year Master’s scholarships, each to the value of the annual amount of ZAR 100,000, the second year of funding being subject to satisfactory academic progress; and
- 4 one-year Honours fellowships, each to the value of ZAR 90,000
FOR MORE AFRICAN SCHOLARSHIPS CLICK HERE
History Access South African Scholarships Eligibility
To students at appropriate levels who have proficiency and/ or interest either
(i) in working with African vernacular language sources, or
(ii) in innovative (new media) articulations of original research.
The questions of equity, redress, diversity and inclusion are absolutely central to both intellectual and operational aspects of the HISTORY ACCESS programme.
They particularly encourage applications from woman and black (and especially African) South African students.
- Eligible candidates will be required to register for full-time study in the Department of Historical Studies and comply with the University of Cape Town’s approved policies, procedures and practices.
- The successful candidates will be required to participate in relevant activities of the History Access programme.
- The successful candidates may hold other awards concurrently with this scholarship.
- The award restricts part-time employment to a maximum of 12 hours per week.
How to Apply for the History Access South African Scholarships
- Suitable candidates are required to email the following documents by 31 October 2018 to History.Access@uct.ac.za
- A letter of motivation, including a brief description of research ideas
- One writing sample
- A complete and up-to-date curriculum vitae, with details of languages known and (if any) new media skills
- Full transcripts of academic record
- Copy of ID document (or copy of passport in the case of foreign applicants)
Deadline: application closes October 31, 2018. Commencement of fellowship: 1 January 2019
For more information please contact History.Access@uct.ac.za or call (+27) 021 650 5527. Department of Historical Studies, University of Cape Town, Private Bag, Rondebosch, 7701