Government of India Fully-Funded PhD Fellowships
In commemoration of the 25th anniversary of the warm and friendly ties between India and ASEAN, the Government of India is offering 1000 Government of India Fully-Funded Ph.D. Fellowships at Indian Institutes of Technology (IITs).
Aspirants from ASEAN countries are welcome to apply for a fellowship to pursue a higher program at an IIT of their choice in India and get a chance to finish their Ph.D. with funding that will cover the entire cost of study and living expenses for up to 5 years.
The Government of India is mainly composed of the executive, the legislature, and the judiciary for the authority of the union of 29 states and seven union territories. Located in New Delhi, it is the union government created by the supreme law of India (Constitution of India).
Why at the Indian Institutes of Technology? The prestigious IITs are considered among the best engineering and technology institutions in the world. Located in India, IITs are autonomous public institutes of higher education governed by the Institutes of Technology Act, 1961.
The Government of India will provide a total budget outlay of INR 300 crore (approximately USD 45 million) in up to 1000 integrated Ph.D. Fellowships. The benefits are as the following:
- The maximum tenure of each fellowship is 5 years
- Winners will receive a stipend per month as the following: INR 31,000/- for the first 2 years and INR 35,000/- for the next three years
- Fellows will receive a research grant up to INR 170,000/- for research expenses such as travel, books, and contingency
- The program will also provide accommodation (monthly house rent allowance) up to 24% – as per Govt. norms (depending on the city) – of the stipend, if hostel accommodation not provided.
- Course Level: PhD
- Application Deadline: October 31, 2019 (Applications are accepted on an ongoing basis.)
- University or Organization: Government of India
- Department: Ministry of Human Resource Development (MHRD)
- Award: Fully-funded fellowships
- Access Mode: Online
- Number of Awards: 1000
- Nationality: Association of South-East Asian Nations (ASEAN) students
- The award can be taken in India
Government of India Fully-Funded PhD Fellowships Eligibility
- Eligible Countries: Applications from 10 ASEAN countries are accepted. ASEAN comprises Indonesia, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Brunei, Thailand, Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Vietnam.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: The PhD program will be awarded in any subject in India’s foremost technical education centres (IITs):
- IIT Bhilai
- IIT Bhubaneswar
- IIT Bombay
- IIT Delhi
- IIT (ISM) Dhanbad
- IIT Dharwad
- IIT Gandhinagar
- IIT Goa
- IIT Guwahati
- IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Indore
- IIT Jammu
- IIT Jodhpur
- IIT Kanpur
- IIT Kharagpur
- IIT Madras
- IIT Mandi
- IIT Palakkad
- IIT Patna
- IIT Roorkee
- IIT Ropar
- IIT Tirupati
- IIT (BHU) Varanasi
Admissible Criteria: To be eligible, the applicants must a citizen of ASEAN countries.
- How to Apply for the Government of India Fully-Funded PhD Fellowships: Applicants apply online on the portal. To apply, applicants are required to take admission in one of an IITs in India. Explore IITs and apply for a fully-funded PhD program.
- Supporting Documents: ASEAN students applying for the fellowships will require a student visa with an admission letter from IIT and last education certificate.
- Admission Requirements: Entry requirements vary according to IITs. So before starting your application you should check the institute in which you want to pursue the PhD of your choice at various IITs.
- Language Requirement: Check language requirement in your selected Institute in which you want to study
- Visa Application is to be filled online at indianvisaonline.gov.in/visa/.
- Applicants may be asked to provide additional documents, if needed, by the consular officer – Passport, photographs, and Signatures.
- Applicants must check the full detail for a student visa.