JAMVAT is an acronym for Jamaica Values and Attitudes. The Jamvat Jamaican Scholarship Program provides financial assistance to students who qualify for admission in an accredited university in Jamaica, but cannot cover tuition fee due to lack of finance. However, these students are not just awarded scholarship, but are given opportunity to contribute to the state through 200 hours of public service.
The objective of the JAMVAT program comes in two folds: the students participate in serving the community hence having awareness of his/her civic responsibility and at the same time, the government pays 30% of the students’ tuition cost which should not exceed $350,000 per annum. JAMVAT participants must complete 200 or more voluntary hours before or at the close of the program to qualify for the 30% of tuition grant.
Eligibility Criteria for the JAMVAT JAMAICAN SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
- Jamaican Citizen up to 18 years of age and not above 35 years old (on or before December 31) of the year of application.
- Only applicant pursuing their first undergraduate course of study on a full-time basis are eligible
- The higher institution which offered the applicant admission must be accredited by the University Council of Jamaica
- Applicants shall be pursuing courses accredited by the University Council of Jamaica
- Applicants shall have attained FULL matriculation. Students enrolled to bridging, preliminary or
- articulated programs DO NOT qualify for assistance.
- Applicants shall be unemployed at the time of the application
- Applicants who are beneficiaries of Student Loan Bureau (SLB) are eligible for assistance
- Applicants must obtain a (B) average or Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.5 in high school to be eligible for the scholarship
- The scholarship cannot be deferred to the next academic year, recipient must utilize financial assistance same year it was granted.
- Only applicants who perform a minimum of 200 hours of voluntary service at a Government or non-profit organization are considered for the grant
- Academic excellence is expected from the applicants. Thus, recipient of the scholarship cannot repeat a grade due to academic failure.
- Applicants who have benefited from three (3) disbursements of financial assistance under the
- JAMVAT program are not eligible.
- Applicants should be in need of financial assistance.
Documents Required to Apply for the JAMVAT Scholarship Program
- A completed application forms. Download the application form here
- Acceptance letter for new students (the letter shouldn’t be older than 6 months). For returning/continuing student, a Status Letter (No older than 6 months)
- A Valid ID/certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Transcript (No older than 6 months) for returning students
- Statement of accounts/Tuition letter
- Passport size picture
- Taxpayer Registration Number (TRN)
How to Apply for the JAMVAT Scholarship Program
- If you meet the eligibility criteria, then go ahead and download the application form:
- Fill the application from with accurate details
- Attach the documents listed above. (have it in mind that the documents attached are depends on whether you are a new student or returning student. For instance, while new students are required to attach an acceptance letter, returning students should attach a status letter)
- Send to via mail to:
- Ministry of Education, Youth and Information Tertiary Unit, Building three
- 4 National Heroes Circle,
- Kingston 4
Jamvat Scholarship Application Form
The application form is obtainable here. Note that incomplete application will not be processed.
Benefits of the JAMVAT scholarship program
- JAMVAT pays 30% of TUITION ONLY to its recipient.
- A onetime stipend of $10,000.00 is paid student who successfully completes the required 200 hours of voluntary service
- Students benefit from the voluntary service which increases their awareness of civic/civil responsibilities.
- Students gain experiences, check their status and interact with speakers on matters of national interest.
- Students contribute to community and national development through volunteerism.
- Students also benefit from real world professional experience.
Jamvat Scholarship Deadline
JAMVAT will be accepting application forms for the 2020/2021 academic year on Wednesday April 1, 2020 through to June 30, 2020.